I am also the author of Music of the Peoples of the World, a survey of musical cultures from around the world. The third edition of this book is now available from Cengage/Schirmer.
Order from Amazon
Many of my articles are available for free online. Here is a bibliography with links where available:
- Insert notes for Six Pieces for Gamelan Slendro. Mode Records 330, 2021.
- "Consonance and Dissonance in Visual Music." Organised Sound 17/2 (Fall 2012): 114-119.
- "Correspondences and Complementarity in Visual Music," Proceedings of the 12th Biennial Symposium of Arts and Technology, 2010.
- Liner notes for Lou Harrison: Por Gitaro. New York: Mode Records 195, 2008. Also, separate website, "The Tuning of Por Gitaro: Suites for Tuned Guitars."
- "Digital Harmony of Sound and Light," Computer Music Journal 29/4 (Winter 2005): 49-58.
- Review of Lou Harrison Keyboard Works, American Music 23/4 (Winter 2005): 536-539.
- "The Electronic Works of Frederick Lesemann," SEAMUS Journal 17/1-2 (Spring 2005): 34-38.
- "Pocket gamelan: developing the instrumentarium for an extended harmonic universe," with Greg Schiemer
(principal author), Stephen James Taylor, and Mark Havryliv. Presented at International Computer Music
Conference, Singapore 2003.
- "The Journey of Light and Darkness in Toby Twining's Chrysalid Requiem,"
1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation Network 11/3 (Autumn 2003): 1-9.
- "Kembangan in the Music of Lou Harrison," Perspectives of New Music 9 #2 (Summer 2001) 29-56.
- Review of Uncommon Practices
by David Doty. 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network 10 No. 5 (Fall 2000) 16-17.
- Hiway 70, computer music composition score, in
The Csound Book
CD-ROM edited by Richard Boulanger. Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 2000.
- "Csound-based Microtonal Synthesis and Control with MIDI," Chapter in
The Csound Book CD-ROM edited by Richard Boulanger. Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 2000.
- "Postmodern Music," Seni [Indonesian Arts Journal] (December 1996), 25-37.
- "Pleng: Composing for a Justly Tuned Gender Barung," Presented at
the Fourth International Symposium and Festival of Intercultural Music, London, April 1996.
Published in Intercultural Music 4 (2001) 33-56, rpt. in 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network (Spring 1997) 1, 4-11.
- Review of Imbas Forasnai: Chanting the Light of Foresight by Terry
Riley, 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation Network
, 9, No. 2 (October 1995) 14-15.
- Audio demonstration of Balinese music, for Balancing Acts, a traveling museum exhibit
produced by the California Museum of Science and Industry.
- "Multicultural Elements in Music Composition," Seni [Indonesian Arts Journal]
- Review of Coda Finale 3.0 Music Notation Software, Music Library Association Notes
(March 1994), 1052-1054.
- "Can We Live With Market-Driven Arts Alone?," Chorus! (July 1991) 16.
- "Key Characteristics and Pitch Sets in Composing with Just
Intonation," 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network, 6, No. 3 (Summer 1990), 1, 6-8, 14.
- Review of Computer Applications in Music: A Bibliography by Deta M. Davis, Society of
Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States Journal, 4, No. 1 (April 1989), 10-11.
- "The Just Tuning System of Nicola Vicentino," 1/1: Journal of
the Just Intonation Network, 5, No. 2 (Spring 1989),
- With Brett Campbell: "The Emancipation of the Consonance: Post-Modern Music," Duende
(November 1988), 19-21, 28-29.